Albert Sidney McLemore, Colonel and Assistant Adjutant and Inspector, U. S. Marine Corps, died at the U. S. Naval Hospital, Mare Island, California, at 8 p.m., Wednesday, July 13, 1921. He was born at Franklin, Tennessee, May 23, 1869, was appointed to the Naval Academy September 7, 1885 and upon graduation from the academy he was transferred to the U. S. Marine Corps and commissioned a second lieutenant therein July 1, 1893. His participation in the defense of Camp McCalla, Guantanamo, Cuba, June 11, 1898, won for him the appointment of captain by brevet, for distinguished conduct and public service in the presence of the enemy. He was appointed Assistant Adjutant and Inspector of the Marine Corps, with the rank of Major, from December 15, 1904; was commissioned lieutenant colonel from August 19, 1916, and was commissioned colonel to rank from the same date. Colonel McLemore gave twenty-eight years of his life to the service of the Marine Corps. (The Recruiter's Bulletin, Recruiting Service of the U. S. Marine Corps, Volume 7, Number 6, August 1921) (Part XI on Facebook, January 24, 2012.
Amos McLemore was a native of Jones County, Mississippi, born August 23, 1823. Before the Civil War, McLemore had been a school teacher and a Methodist-Episcopal minister. In 1858, McLemore went into the dry goods business with Dr. J. M. Bayliss. During the same period he also engaged in the buying and selling of real estate in Jones and Perry counties. When the Civil War began, McLemore was among the first to raise a company in defense of the Confederacy. His company, the "Rosin Heels," was drawn from Jones and Perry counties and was mustered into Confederate service in Ellisville on September 10, 1861. McLemore was commissioned Captain on the same day. On March 16, 1863, Capt. McLemore was promoted to Major and third in command of the 27th Mississippi Infantry Regiment. On Oct. 5, 1863, while visiting in the home of State Rep. Amos Deason in Ellisville, Maj. Amos McLemore was shot and killed by a deserter. If he had survived in good health for another seven months, Maj. McLemore would almost certainly have succeeded to the command of the 27th Mississippi Regiment. (Dr. Rudy Leverett, The Clarion Ledger "Perspective", Wednesday, November 29-30, 1977, p. 9, 11a) (Part IV on Facebook, January 19, 2012)
Amos McLemore (c1760-c1817). According to family tradition, Amos was born in Edgecombe Couinty, North Carolina, around 1760. In 1770, the family moved to Duplin County where they are known to have owned at least 300 acres of farmland and timber. There is good reason to believe that Amos fought in the Revolutionary War, but the next piece of his life surfaces with him and his wife, Equilla, in South Carolina, in 1787, their first son, Moses, named after Amos’s father, was born that year. By late fall of 1808, Amos and Equilla were living in Bedford County, Tennessee, and four years later they migrated to Giles County, Tennessee.
The children of Amos and Equilla were as follows: Moses, born in 1787; John born in 1793; Amos, born September 18, 1796; Richard, born September 21, 1798; William born in 1800; Josiah, born in 1803; Lavinia, Mary, Elizabeth and Louisa. In 1816, Amos and Equilla moved south into Mississippi, and Amos reportedly died a year later. After Amos’ death, Equilla married a John Tiner and after his death, Equilla moved to Covington County, Mississippi. (“Old Rosinheels: A Genealogical Sketch of the Family of Major Amos McLemore,” by Rudy Leverett, 1988, pp. 39-40.) (Part XXXVII in Facebook, June 7, 2012.)
Amos McLemore (1823-1863). Amos was born on August 23, 1823 in Simpson or Copiah County, Mississippi, the son of John and Anna Maria McLemore. He appears on the Perry County Tax Rolls of Perry County, Mississippi, in 1845. A former student wrote this recollection of Amos McLemore, “My earliest recollections of Major Amos McLemore was when I was quite a child and he a school teacher and Methodist preacher in Jones and Perry Counties [Mississippi].” [Captain T. C. Carter, 1894] However, the 1860 Census of Jones County, Mississippi, lists him as “merchant.”
By August 21, 1850, when the Jones County census was taken, Amos was married to his cousin, Rosa Lavinia McLemore, who was born around 1831-32 in Jones County. On October 28, 1856, Amos and Rosie bought land in Perry County, Mississippi. Rosie and Amos had five children: Sabelle Rosetta (1851), John C (1854), Anna Jane (1856), Rosalind Lavinia (1857), and Walter Scott (1860).
At the beginning of the Civil War, Amos and Rosie were quite prosperous. They owned at least 700 acres of land and half interest in a mercantile business. On May 27, 1861, Amos wrote a letter to Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States requesting permission to form “a company of independent rangers to serve in the south-eastern part of Mississippi or elsewhere as occasion may require.” Permission was granted and on August 10, 1861, he formed and named his company “Rosinheels,” and Amos himself was given the nick-name, “Old Rosinheels.” Sadly, Major McLemore was murdered by a group of deserters on the evening of October 5, 1863, in Ellisville, Mississippi. (“Old Rosinheels: A Genealogical Sketch of the Family of Major Amos McLemore,” by Rudy Leverett, 1988, pp. 47-53.) (Part XXXVIII in Facebook, June 10, 2012.)
Amos McLemore (1829-1903) was a planter of Lauderdale County, Mississippi, born in Chickasaw County, December 3, 1829. His parents, William and Martha (Joiners) McLemore, were born in North Carolina and Tennessee in 1800, respectively, moved to Covington County when he was but a child, and in 1838 they moved to Lauderdale County and settled near where Meridian is now situated. Amos was married in 1855 to Miss Mary Jane McShan, of Lauderdale County, by whom he had nine children: William Andrew, Virginia, Fannie, Acquila, Laura, Kirkland, and a son who lived only a month. At the opening of the Civil War, Mr. McLemore enlisted in the Confederate Army and upon the return of peace, he turned his attention to planting, notwithstanding the fact that, during the war, his plantation had been rifled of all valuables, and had grown up to weeds. He turned his attention to the culture of cotton, in which he was quite successful and made money. He owned one thousand acres of land, three miles northeast of Meridian, MS. He was considered a self-made man, well posted on general topics of the day, benevolent, charitable, and generous, but not active in politics. (Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Mississippi, Volume 2 (1891). Additional Note: Amos McLemore died September 2, 103 and is buried in Oak Grove Cemeter, Meridian, Mississippi. (Part XIX on Facebook, February 11, 2012)
Andrew Jackson McLemore was born in Monroe County, East Tennessee, September 10, 1829. When fifteen years old, he came to Greene County, Missouri, and after a short stay at Springfield, went to Dade County. In 1851, he, with other adventurers, took the gold fever and went to California. Here he remained some five years, and accumulated a considerable sum of money. Returning to Dade County, Missouri, in 1857, accompanied by his wife (Dialtha Alexander) to whom he had been married February 5, 1857. After returning to Missouri, Mr. McLemore bought the old Alexander homestead near Ozark, on which he remained till the civil war. He then sold out and made a trip to Texas, but returned almost immediately, and located again just north of Ozark and then to Walnut Grove. He has one of the best improved farms in the northwest part of Greene county, his residence being elegant and well located. Seven children were born to the couple: Cornelius A, Ida F., John S., Detroit M., Maggie M., Greeley N. and Myrtle O. (History of Greene County Missouri, Western Historical Company: St. Louis, 1883, p. 618, submitted by Tom Heseltine, May 1995). (Part XXI on Facebook, February 19, 2012)
Angelo McLemore was born Jan. 7, 1903 to Elisha and Susan (Byrum) McLemore. He was born in Raines Co. Texas He married Elizabeth Johnson and they had two children, R.H. born February 5, 1925 and died November 9, 1969 and a daughter, Joyce Odell who died as a very young child. His second wife was Velma Pauline Glass of Alba, Texas.
They had one child, Dolores McLemore McKee, born January 4, 1940 in Fresno, California. Angelo spent most of his young life working in farming in east Texas. In the middle 1930's they moved to Fresno, California where he worked for several different large grower firms, mostly in the fruit industry. Starting in 1948 he moved to the Oregon and Washington region where he worked on the construction of dams that were being built along the Columbia River. Due to the severity of the winters the family would return to their home in Clovis, California. In 1954, he moved to Duncanville, Texas where he went to work for his son, who had started his own Plumbing Co. He worked there until his death in 1959.
He and his wife were on a fishing and camping trip in the Ozark Mountains when he suffered a heart attack and died during his sleep. This was on August 15, 1959. He was a very hard working man and always managed for his family. In 1941 he was diagnosed with tuberculosis and spent eighteen months in a Clinic in the foothills to central California. His sister Emily died from tuberculosis at the time that Angelo became ill. He was a member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles. He was a kind and soft spoken man and was loved by all who knew him. (Submitted by his daughter, Dolores McLemore McKee, May 4, 2010.) (Part XV on Facebooks, February 2, 2012)
Augustus McLemore, know as "Uncle Gus", was born, January 23, 1854, near Meridian, Mississippi. As a very young child, his father migrated with the family from Mississippi into Union Parish, Louisiana, and settled on a farm at the edge of Litroe. In true pioneer fashion, this couple cleared a farm and built a home in the woods about three or four miles from his father's home [John McLemore c1831]. There in the old log cabin all of their children were born. Occasionally a job of public work would be available. At one time, he took a contract to cut a railroad right-of-way from Felsenthal, Arkansas, to Monroe, Louisiana. About the year 1888, this family moved to Monroe but the following year the moved back to the Litroe farm. At one time he operated a boat landing on the Ouachita River near his home near Litroe. In the year 1913, Augustus sold this property and purchased a farm in the extreme northern part of Franklin Parish in what is known as Hominy Bend Community. For a while, he operated a small grocery store at this location. In the year 1924, he sold this property and moved to Rayville, Louisiana, where he lived until his death, April 5, 1925. (A. W. Bridges, 2920 Resior Road, Shreveport, LA, August 1963) (Part XXIV on Facebook, March 17, 2012.)
Benjamin Franklin McLemore, was born May 3, 1839, the son of James and Martha M. (Barkley) McLemore of southwestern Southampton County. He was apparently one of at least six children born of this union. After completion of his studies, he probably farmed for a while, perhaps with his father, and apparently clerked in a store as well, until the spring of 1861 erupted into this nation's bloodiest conflict, the American Civil War. He survived the entire war with only two slight wounds, was apparently taken with other surrendered southern soldiers to Richmond where he took the amnesty oath on May 18, 1865, and was paroled. He walked home to Southampton County where, by the end of the year he felt secure enough about his future to marry, taking as his wife, Rosa Ann Westbrook, daughter of James David Westbrook and Nancy Lewis (Turner) Westbrook on December 20, 1865, at the bride's home in Drewryville. His wife Rosa, after giving birth to nine children of whom seven survived infancy and six survived to marry and have issue, died on May 26, 1896. B. F. McLemore thereafter married, secondly, Lelia G. Adams, daughter of William T. and Martha P. ("Pullie") Adams of Adams Grove west of Drewryville. This marriage took place on August 3, 1898, in the town of Suffolk in neighboring Nansemond County. Benjamin Franklin McLemore died on January 29, 1911, and was buried between his two wives in the family plot in the cemetery behind the Episcopal Church in Courtland. (B. F. McLemore His Ancestors and Descendants, James L. McLemore, 1991, pp. 337-349) (Part XVIII on Facebook, February 8, 2012)
Burwell McLemore and his wife, Amy, had a large family: eleven children in all have been identified, but only two had their births recorded in the Albemarle Parish Register. The first was Sally, born June 2, 1754, and baptized August 25, 1754. Her sponsors or god-parents included her aunt and uncle, Robert and Lydia Magee, as well as a Gilliam. A second daughter "Molly" (Mary) was shown in the Register as being born July 24, and baptized September 14, 1760. There was a sufficient interval in between these two for the birth of at least one other child (probably Howell), and the others followed along thereafter: John, Lucy, Lydia, Ann or Anna, Burwell Jr., Gilliam, Charles and James, probably in something close to that order, with their births running right up nearly to the outbreak of the American Revolution, when Burwell would have been 55, and Amy in her early to mid 40's. By the time his family had grown this large, it became obvious that his original 190 acre patented plantation was too small (or worn out) to support such a family. Therefore, he arranged in 1775 to exchange this plantation with John Tyler (father of President John Tyler) for a larger tract. Both deeds were dated January 17, 1775, and recorded February 16, 1775. Burwell McLemore survived all his brothers (including Joel, who was considerably younger), and he apparently survived at least one child and his wife Amy as well. Neither his first born daughter Sally nor his wife is mentioned in his will, which was dated September 21, 1793, and admitted to probate October 4, 1798. (B. F. McLemore His Ancestors and Descendants, James L. McLemore III (c. 1991) pp. 81-82). (Part XXIII on Facebook, February 23, 2012)
Caleb Hill McLemore was born in Covington, MS, in January, 1829, and is the fourth of a family of nine children. His father, Richard McLemore, was a native of North Carolina, and removed from that state to Tennessee with his parents when but a boy. He remained at home, assisting in the care of his family until he was twenty-one years of age. He then came to Mississippi and was married in Covington County, in August 1821, to Nancy P. Hill. They had born to them two sons and seven daughters. Capt. McLemore was twenty-one years of age when he began to till the soil and raise livestock. He located in Lauderdale county, and there were few older residents than he. He was married in his twenty-fourth year to Mrs. L. C. Brown, widow of John Brown, of Clarke county, MS. Seven children were born of this union. In 1802, he enlisted in Company I, Thirty-seventh Mississippi Volunteer Infantry, and was in the arm of the Tennessee. When his captain was killed, he was promoted to the position, which he held during the remainder of the war. After the declaration of peace, he returned to his home in Lauderdale county and resumed the pursuit of agriculture on the place where he now lives. Captain McLemore was a member of the Masonic fraternity for nearly thirty years, and a Knight of Honor. He also belonged to the Farmers' Alliance. (Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Mississippi, Volume II, 1891). (Part X on Facebook, January 23, 2012)
Charles McLemore, merchant, was born in Jasper County, Ga., and died in 1858, near Memphis, Tenn. He was educated as a physician, came to Alabama in 1833, and settled on the river in Tallapoosa County. Soon after he came to Lafayette in Chambers County, where he established himself as a merchant. He was elected to the State Legislature from Chambers County in 1836, and between that time and 1844, was re-elected five times to that body. He was sent to the State senate in the latter year, and served two years. He was again elected to the senate in 1849, was unanimously elected president of that body in 1851, and served in the upper house until 1855, when he was defeated by Dr. H. W. Bacon. He died while on a visit to Arkansas, to look after lands in which he was interested. He was a Whig. Mr. McLemore was married three times, the last time to a Miss McCoy, daughter of Neal McCoy of Chambers County. One of his sons, Col. J. J. McLemore, an officer in the militia, was debarred form active service in the Ward of Secession because of physical disabilities, drilled many soldiers for the C. S. Army, and conducted a flour mill, which was thrown open to the families of soldiers during the war; he served in the State legislature and offered a series of joint resolutions for the state to care for the soldiers' families, which later became a law. His youngest son was Col. Owen Kenan McLemore. (History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Thomas McAdory Owen, LL.D. Vol IV, S. J. Clarke Publishing). (Part XXV on Facebook, March 20, 2012)
Chesley Bostick McLemore was born around 1813 in South Carolina. He married Elizabeth Thigpen around 1849 and they settled in Toombs County, Georgia, in 1850. After clearing land [near Vidalia, Georgia] to farm they built the frontier cabin in 1864 of hand hewn logs with pegs and boards of great width and length. The logs are heart pine from southern yellow pine trees that were logged from the timber on the land. On the front porch is the travelers room. The door to this room was always open to anyone traveling the Old Savannah Road which passes near the cabin. During the frontier period cotton was the leading crop. It was hauled by oxen and cart to Savannah. The large McLemore farm was prime farmland. The couple had seven children. He died in 1899. [Part XX on Facebook, April 27, 2012)
Chester Edward McLemore. Mr. McLemore was born July 14, 1899 to William Thomas and Maggie (McKinley) McLemore in Chickasaw County, Mississippi. He married Mary Alice Tipton on April 6, 1923 and they had six children: Margaret Alice (1925), Mary Jane (1926), William Thomas (1928), Betty Sue (1932), Chester E (1938), and Homer Tipton (1943). In 1943 he ran for Sheriff and Tax Collector of Clay County, Mississippi. We quote from his advertisement in the local “Daily Times Leader,” West Point, Mississippi, July 13, 1943: “I was born and raised in this country near Abbott, Mississippi, and still reside on the farm where I was born. I have a wife and five children and I have always taken an active interest in supporting good schools in each community of the county. I have served my home District 3 for the past 8 years as Supervisor. I have used every effort possible to make a faithful and efficient officer, and if you will elect me your sheriff I shall strive with all the power I have to fairly, impartially and faithfully administer the law.” Mr. McLemore died October 12, 1971. (Part XXVIII on Facebook, May 3, 2012).
Ephraim Hester McLemore was born December 20, 1903 on the farm of his father, Tilghman Richard McLemore, west of Meadville, Mississippi. When he graduated from High School, he received an appointment to the United States Military Academy, West Point, New York. He graduated on June 9, 1928 and was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the Field Artillery. "Mac", as he was known by his army friends, soon arrived in the San Antonio area serving with the Field Artillery School at Fort Sam Houston. Here, he met Edith Adeline "Peggy" Pearman and they married November 10, 1931. June 1, 1937, Mac and Peggy moved to West Point, New York, where he became an Instructor in Mathematics at the United States Military Academy. It was here that their three children were born: William Pearman, October 14, 1937; Ann Schindler, September 12, 1939; and Tilghman Richard, October 21, 1940. During World War II, McLemore fought in the Pacific as an artillery officer for which he received several commendations including the Bronze Star Award. In July of 1948, he became the Assistant G-4 for the United States Armed Forces in Japan under General Douglas MacArthur. His military career ended with a medical retirement at Fort Monroe, Virginia, in 1955. His first wife had died and he remarried a Betty Sue Lindsay. After years of retirement in Front Royal, Virginia, he died November 19, 1973 and was buried in Arlington Cemetery. (Part XVI on Facebook, February 4, 2012)
George Ammie McLemore, Sr., was the son of David Alderman and Margaret (Hall) McLemore and was born on November 12, 1878, in McDaniels Township, Sampson County, North Carolina. He gained his early education in the county school and was among the first to enter Wake Forest's medical School where he studied for two years. He was awarded the M.D. degree in 1906 after four years of study at the University of North Carolina. In December of 1908, he married Nellie Emily Johnson of Cleveland Township in Johnston County, North Carolina, who died in April of 1934. Dr. and Mrs. McLemore had five children: Robert A., George A. Jr., Margaret Elizabeth (see below), Lucille, and Eloise. Dr. McLemore created a cartoon and quip series for The Smithfield Herald from November 1925 through March of 1930 under the title, "Aunt Roxie says." George McLemore had a deep love of the land instilled in him by his parents and he farmed as a side-line. He also gave generously of himself and his talents to the poor and needy. His political affiliation was Democratic. A member of the Presbyterian Church, he served as Ruling Elder in the First Presbyterian Church of Smithfield, North Carolina. Dr. McLemore died on April 14, 1961, after a long period of service in the medical profession and as a great humanitarian. (North Carolina Lives, William S. Powell, Hopkinsville, Kentucky (1962) p. 810). (Part XVI on Facebook, March 24, 2012)
Harold Barton McLemore is perhaps one of the more educated of the McLemore Clan. Harold was born to Halsey Orrin and Daisy May (Hoke) McLemore on December 13, 1909 in Salem, Indiana. He attended high school in Salem and received a B.A. Degree from Butler University in 1932, a BSLitt in 1933, and a Doctor in Theology Degree from the Louisville (Kentucky) Presbyterian Seminary in 1940, Magna Cum Laude. After this, he decided to become an Episcopal priest and attended Berkeley Divinity School in New Haven, Connecticut, where he graduated in 1943 with a Bachelor in Divinity Cum Laude. He was ordained deacon in 1942 by Bishop Clingman of Kentucky and Priest in September of 1943 by Bishop Budlong of Connecticut. From 1943-1946 he was Rector of St. Thomas Episcopal Church, Bethel, Connecticut. In 1946, he became Rector of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, Valparaiso, Indiana. Shortly thereafter, Harold resigned with his wife, Rebecca, to a home in Louisville, Kentucky, where he devoted himself to writing and research. Among his publications are: “The Story of Christian Art and Architecture from Catacombs to Cathedrals,” “The Harmony of Science and the Scriptures,” “Poems of My Own Pen,” and “Pen and Prayers.” Harold McLemore died December 30, 1984 in Louisville, Kentucky. (Part VI on Facebook, January 19, 2012)
Harvey Burton McLemore, the seventh child of Benjamin Franklin and Rosa (Westbrook) McLemore was born August 17, 1876, in Boykins, Virginia. On March 29, 1903, Harvey married Pattie Edwards Williams, the sister of Mary Francis Williams who married his brother, Tom. Harvey, with no real college education, was named by his father as clerk of the circuit court, and profession at which he excelled until his death. Mr. McLemore also found the Bank of Southampton where he served as president of the Board of Directors for many years. Harvey and Pattie had five children: Harvey Burton Jr., Reginald William, William Walker, Katherine, and William Thomas II. When Harvey died, January 4, 1934; the lawyers who practiced in his court memorialized him in an open court session remembering the “quiet efficiency with which he performed through the years… and the never failing courtesy with which he met their daily requirements and personal contacts.” Harvey’s wife, Pattie, survived him by many years dying on November 13, 1963. They are buried together in the family plot at Courtland Cemetery, Virginia. (“B. F. McLemore, His Ancestors and Descendants,” by James L. McLemore III, pp. 400-401.) (Part XXIII on Facebook, May 2, 2012)
Henry Toliver McLemore was born December 2, 1906 in Macon, Georgia, the son of a Baptist preacher, Rev. James Stacker. Mr. McLemore worked in a sandwich shop in New York before joining the International News Service. A sports columnist for United Press from 1930-40, he accented the personalities, took less than passing interest in statistics. In his column, syndicated since 1940, he avoided politics and stressed the lighter side. McLemore once wrote, "They say they turn--from disaster and the atom bomb--to me, at breakfast, to get a laugh." McLemore had a sharp pen and another commentator said of his article on a boxing referee, “Among their ranks was the steaming Henry McLemore of the Associated Press, who handed referee Donovan the following prosaic pillorying: ‘Arthur Donovan is the new lightweight boxing champion of the world. He is a bit fat for the title, particularly in the head. But he won it in Yankee Stadium last night. He won it for Lou Ambers by rendering a decision as questionable as a mongrel’s paternity.’” He was married to the former Mary Jean Heg and they had one daughter. Jean was a great help to him in his columns. McLemore said of her, "She happens to be a well-educated woman, who knows where to put commas." Henry died June 23, 1968 in Daytona Beach, Florida. (Part IX in Facebook, January 20, 2012)
James E. McLemore. James was born at Crockett, Houston Co, TX, in 1870. His parents were John A. and Margaret Helen (Hall) McLemore. His father, who was born in Marion County, AL, in 1830, came to Houston County in what was then the Republic of Texas in 1843 and was one of the early settlers in that vicinity. When he was fifteen years of age, James moved to Waco, Texas, where he began to learn the art of telegraphy. Beginning as a railroad operator at the country station, he rose in that profession until he became one of the most expert and widely know commercial and Associated Press operators in the United States. Soon he moved into the insurance business and in 1907 became the General Agent for Texas representing the American National Insurance Company. At one time Mr. McLemore had more than seventy-five competent agents working under his supervision.
Mr. McLemore was married in Waco, Texas, to the former Lotta Bracken, born and raised in Palestine, Texas. The McLemore's had ten children: Chris, Mozelle, Clyde, Lois, Jim, Dorothy, Pauline, Sam, Ruth and Daniel. They were members of the Oak Cliff Presbyterian Church where he led a Sunday School class of over 100 men. (Part XXVI on Facebook, May 3, 2012)
James Hennen McLemore was born October 11, 1910 in Courtland, Virginia, the son of Dr. William Thomas and Mary Frances McLemore. He graduated from Randolph Macon College where he was a member of the Pi Kappa Sigma Fraternity. He went to work for Virginia Electric and Power Company in Suffolk, where he eventually rose to a management position. On August 24, 2935, Hennen married Elfleda Prosser Bridges at St. James the Less Episcopal Church in Ashland, Virginia. They had one child, Polly Bridges McLemore born September 29, 1940. Elfleda died July 4, 1970 and is buried in her family cemetery at Ashland, Virginia. Two years later, Hennen married Catherine Louise Davis of Morgantown, North Carolina. Sadly, this marriage lasted only a year as Hennen McLemore died January 21, 1973. He is buried next to his first wife in Ashland, Virginia. (“B. F. McLemore, His Ancestors and Descendants,” by James L. McLemore III, pp. 398-399) (Part XXX on Facebook, May 16, 2012)
James Latinus McLemore, Sr. Mr. McLemore, a judge of the second judicial district since 1907 comprising Nansemond and Southampton counties and the city of Norfolk, was born near Drewryville in the county of Southampton, November 18, 1866. His parents were Benjamin Franklin McLemore and Rosa Ann (Westbrook) McLemore. The McLemore family was of Scotch origin, and was first represented in Virginia by James McLemore, who settled about 1690 in Sussex County. James was reared in the country and then in the small village of Boykins. He obtained his elementary education at the public and private schools of his county, and at the age of fourteen moved with his father to Courtland (then Jerusalem) the county seat, and after about two years of service as deputy, under Judge Joseph B. Prince, then clerk of the court, he took an academic course at Randolph-Macon college for the two sessions of 1885-1886, and 1886-1887, after which he returned home and was again deputy clerk under his father who had been elected clerk. Prompted by his experience in the clerk's office, he chose the law as his profession, and took a course for a year at the University of Virginia, received at the end of the session of 1889-1890 the degree of Bachelor of Law.
On his return home, James began the active work of his life with great energy and soon served as a member of the city council of Suffolk and in February 1899 was named President of the Bank of Suffolk.
On April 21, 1898, he married Mary Willis Pretlow, daughter of Dr. Thomas J. Pretlow, deceased, and Nannie Massenburg Pretlow. Three children have been born to James and Mary: Mary Willis, James L., and Elizabeth Rose, of whom only the oldest survives. (Men of Mark in Virginia, Volume V, 1906-1909) (Part V on Facebook, January 19, 2012)
James Latinus McLemore, Jr. “Jimmy” was born December 23, 1912 to James L. and Mary Willis McLemore at their home in Suffolk, Virginia. His higher education included Randolph Macon College, the University of Virginia and the University of Richmond where he received a law degree in 1939. During World War II, he served in the U.S. Army and Navy, and his military service forced his wedding to Jane Warren Coulburn (planned for January 10, 1942) to be moved to January 1, 1942). Their marriage was in her home church, Waverly Baptist, Waverly, Virginia. They parented three children: James Latinus III, Elizabeth Warren, and John Coulbourn. Throughout his life, Jim practiced law in Suffolk, Virginia, during which time he was one of the principal officers of the National Bank of Suffolk. To everyone who has researched the McLemore family, Jim was the source and resource for the clan’s ancestral information. He was an ardent genealogist and spent many hours researching—not only the McLemore family in the United States—but the evolution of the family in Europe. In 1991, Jim McLemore published a book entitled “B. F. McLemore: His Ancestors and Descendants” which he further entitled as “A History of the McLemore-Westbrook Family of Southside Virginia.” The 961 hard-bound volume includes his detailed studies of the family’s origins include the Norse, Celtic, and Gaelic origins—the transformation of the surname from MacGillemhuire to McLemore. The McLemore-Westbook families of the Suffolk area of Virginia are extensive and include many fold-out family trees. Jim McLemore died of cancer on June 9, 2003 still actively involved in his community, Methodist Church, and family history. (Part VII on Facebook, January 19, 2012)
James Lee McLemore. Mr. McLemore was born December 22, 1866 in Rogersville, Alabama, the son of John and Clarice (Lanmon) McLemore. Following in the pattern of many McLemores in their migration from Virginia through North Carolina and Tennessee, they established a farm in the Rogersville area of Lawrence County, Alabama. James Lee married Mary Susan Page, December 12, 1891, in Rogersville. Their children were Hettie Lee, Robert O’Neal, Osie Josephine, Oliver Clyde, James Tollie, Virta Lucille, Christine Louise and Susie Eloise. In 1909, they purchased farm land and three years later built a house and grew mainly cotton and corn. They were a religious family and members of the Methodist Church in Rogersville. James Lee died July 27,1941 and Mary Page died December 27, 1943. Both are buried in the Nace-McLemore Cemetery, one of the oldest in Rogersville. (“The Heritage of Lauderdale County, Alabama, 2003, p. 345.) (Part XXXI on Facebook, May 22, 2012)
James Stacker McLemore, Sr. James Stacker (called “Stacker”) was born June 10, 1867 in Logan County, Kentucky, the son of Henry Tolaver and Nancy Bell King McLemore. He married Minnie Skinner of Georgetown, South Carolina, and they had five children: Ellabelle (1893), Elizabeth (1897), James Stacker, Jr. (1898), Cogdell W. (1901/2), and Henry Toliver (1906). By 1900, his family was in Statesboro, Georgia, where he was ordained a Baptist minister. He served as Pastor of the First Baptist Church in Statesboro and was the Field Secretary for the Baptist Young People’s Union (BYPU). When Stacker died February 9, 1937, he was serving a Baptist Church in Jacksonville, Florida. His obituary in the Bulloch Times of Statesboro, Georgia, February 11, 1937, reads: “Died, Monday, Jacksonville, Florida, Rev. J. S. McLemore former pastor of the Statesboro Baptist Church. Surviving are his wife, the former Miss Minnie Skinner of Georgetown, SC; daughters, Mrs. Edgar A. Davison [Ellabelle] and Mrs. Robert G. Lovett [Elizabeth]. His sons: J. S. [James Stacker, Jr.] and Henry; brothers: O. L. [Orville L.] and C. T. [Clayborne T.]. Burial will be in East Side Cemetery, Statesboro.”
James Whitman McLamore (May 30, 1926-August 9, 1996) was the co-founder of Burger King fast food franchise with David Egerton. Both were graduates of Cornell University. Edgerton originally opened Insta Burger King in Miami, Florida, on March 1, 1954. Three months later, on June 1st, he met McLamore and they formed the Burger King Corporation. It opened Burger King stores and went on to introduce the Whopper burger in 1957, when it also dropped “Insta” from their name. The pair sold the business to Pillsbury in 1967 and McLamore served as Burger King’s president until 1970, and was Chairman of the Board until 1976. He was born in New York and appears in the 1930 Census in the household of Sara S. Whitman, a Widow, as her grandson, aged 3. His father was Thomas M. McLamore from Louisiana. (Part XXXII in Facebook, May 26, 2012)
John McLemore (1793-c1853). John was born in the Cheraws District of South Carolina in 1793 to Amos and Equilla McLemore. The family migrated to Tennessee and later to the eastern portion of Mississippi. However, before leaving Giles County, Tennessee, John married Anna Maria Yates, the daughter of Abraham and Kitty (Hunter) Yates, of Giles County. John and Anna are known to have had four children: Amos (1823), Elmyra (before 1825), Abraham (1827), and Anna Marie (1829). John and Anna owned a sizeable farm in Perry County, Mississippi. John died in 1853 at the age of 60 in Perry County not far from the Jones County line. (“Old Rosinheels: A Genealogical Sketch of the Family of Major Amos McLemore,” by Rudy Leverett, 1988, pp. 42-43.) (Part XXXIX on Facebook, June 10, 2012.)
John Christmas McLemore, eldest son of Nathaniel and Ann Peebles (Christmas) McLemore, was born January 1, 1790 in Orange County, North Carolina. Shortly after his last sibling was born in 1800, his mother died. His father moved to Davidson County, Tennessee and married Tabitha Trite, June 3, 1809. By this time, John Christmas had traveled to the Chickasaw Bluff area in west Tennessee where he engaged in land surveying and real estate. In 1811, he was elected surveyor-general of the military district in the western region of Tennessee. On April 5, 1815, he married Elizabeth Donelson and they had eight children: Mary Ann (1816), John Coffee (1818), Andrew Jackson (1820), Catherine Donelson (1822), Emily Donelson (c1824), William Christmas (c1828), Alexander Donelson (1830), and Willoughby Williams (183?).
He and his family appear in the 1920 and 1830 censuses of Davison Co (Nashville). In 1840, he appears in the Shelby County Census (Memphis). He was a close friend and trusted advisor to Andrew Jackson through his life. He purchased Andrew Jackson’s share of the Rice Tract upon which Memphis was built. John C. was extremely generous and many families were able to retain their homes through his aid and support. However, his generosity, and a failed railroad venture, left him almost penniless upon his later years. He died May 20, 1864 and is buried in Elmwood Cemetery in Memphis. His grave reads: “One of the original proprietors of Memphis.” (“Counties of Tennessee,” Austin P. Foster, 1923) (Part XXXIII in Facebook, May 29, 2012.)
John Coffee McLemore, was born in Forest Hill, Tenn., August 20, 1862, the son of John C. and Sarah Lane McLemore. He attended the county public schools and worked on the farm until he was eighteen years old and then worked as a clerk in a country store at Bailey, Tennessee, until 1887 when he moved to Memphis. After several years as a local businessman of great reputation, accepted the position of deputy clerk with Joe H. Creath, county trustee, and handled the front foot assessment books. Auditors made a report to the mayor which highly complimented his work. He was elected Shelby County Court Clerk in 1914 and re elected in the election of 1918. He was chairman of the Democratic executive committee in 1905 and 1906. He married to Miss Elizabeth Pope, October 9, 1895. The had two children, John C. IV, and Sarah Elizabeth McLemore. (Who's Who in Tennessee, p. 611 ). [John died August 19, 1946 and is buried in Memphis (Shelby Count) Tennessee. (Part XXII on Facebook, April 27, 2012.)
Joshua W. McLemore. Joshua is the son of Richard McLemore who was born in North Carolina about 1799 and was married to Miss Nancy P. Hill of North Carolina. The moved to Tennessee and later came to Covington County, Mississippi. Later they moved to Lauderdale County. Joshua, one of a family of nine, was born in 1839 and attended schools in Lauderdale County, Mississippi. In 1856 he attended Gathright's School in Summerville, MS, as well as teaching off and on. He was married in February 1860 to Miss M. E. Semmes the daughter of F. C. Semmes, a relative of Admiral Raphael Semmes of Alabama fame. Joshua and his wife had eleven children: F. R., Nannie, Kate H., C. S./, J. e., S. J., W. L., Sallie, Mittie B.,, John and Julia. In November 1861, he enlisted for sixty days under Colonel Patton; was discharged at the expiration of his term of service and went out again in April, 1862 under Col. McLain, in Company I, of the Thirty-seventh Mississippi Regiment with General Price at Iuka. When peace was finally established, Joshua was discharged in Atlanta, Georgia, and returned to farming and teaching. He moved several times in and around Meridian finally settling permanently two miles east of Meridian. He owned 220 acres of rich land in the bottoms and raised corn and cotton, and cattle. (Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Mississippi, 1891). (Part XX on Facebook, February 16, 2012)
Keton Jones McLemore. I received a letter from Carl McLemore, March 14, 1983, that says this about Keton (Keeton?). “We share a common great-grandfather in Keton Jones McLemore. Someone told us that he was born about 1807 in Louisville, Kentucky, the son of Samuel and Rebecca McLemore. He married Rebecca Jane Harrelson, May 28, 1933, in Jackson (Hinds County), Mississippi. We have found much information about Keeton Jones but as to his parentage, nothing. Keton Jones McLemore lived in Sabine Parish, Louisiana about 1843-1957 and served as Sheriff before moving to Texas in 1857. Since Nicholas McLemore was in Sabine Parish at the same time, they could have been brothers.”
The 1860 U.S. Census for Papalote (Bee County) Texas shows a K. J. McLemore, aged 50, as a farmer. Others in the household are: Nancy J. age 23, born in Tennessee; Felix H. age 16, born in Louisiana; Thadeus K., age 14, born in Louisiana; Rebecca E., age 11, born in Louisiana; Margaret F., age 8, born in Texas; Rob J., age 3, born in Texas; and Emily M., age 3/12, born in Texas. A comment from a W. S. McLemore of Groesbeck, Texas, reads, “Keton Jones, youngest of 11 children of Samuel and Rebecca McLemore, attended Harvard and was an educator and Methodist Minister.” By 1870, Keton appears in the U.S. Census for Seguin County, Texas, (spelled Keeton), aged 60, with his second wife, Nancy Jane Johnson, and several children.
Melba Gene McLemore, who has done extensive research on Keton Jones, has some of his letters to his son, Felix Harrelson McLemore, on her excellent web site (mclemoregenealogy.org). The last letter written March 21, 1870 reveals a dismal situation for this very complex man. “I must now close & do not know when you will hear from me again as I am writing on my last paper, using my last envelop & no money to buy more, with gloomy prospects for provisions, but having worked through so long I still expect. to make out.” My records show that Keton Jones McLemore died in 1873 in Texas. (Part XXXV on Facebook, June 3, 2012.)
Margaret Alice McLemore was born the 10th of February 1925 in Abbott near West Point, the county seat of Clay County, Mississippi. She was the oldest child of Chester Edward and Mary Tipton McLemore. She had four siblings: William Thomas “Bill” b. 1928; Bette Sue b. 1932; Chester E. Jr., “Chet” b. 1938; and Homer Tipton b. 1943. Margaret was a Secretary in the Sales Department of Bryan Foods of West Point. She was also a faithful member of Siloam United Methodist Church. She never married and died at the home of her sister, Bette, February 16, 2005 and was buried at Memorial Garden Cemetery in West Point. (Portions of this article are from “We Tiptons and Their Kin,” by F. C. Tipton, 1975., Troup County Archives, LaGrange, Georgia) (Part XVII on Facebook, March 26, 2012)
Margaret Elizabeth McLemore, was born on the 26th of September, 1910, in Cleveland Township, Johnston County, North Carolina. She was the daughter of Dr. George A. McLemore and Nellie Emily Johnson McLemore. Her father was a country doctor who moved the family to Smithfield, North Carolina, in 1923. She graduated from Smithfield High School in 1927 and attended North Carolina College for Women (now the University of North Carolina-Greenville). She married Denton Farmer Lee in 1941 and worked as a bookkeeper for her husband’s radio appliance business in downtown Smithfield until his death in 1965. They had three children, Mary Nell, Margaret Ann Lee, and Denton Farmer Lee, Jr. She was a long-time member of the Smithfield’s First Presbyterian Church and was the church’s first ordained woman deacon. She died at the age of 96 on the 12th of February, 2007, and was recognized for her many contributions to her county and state as a historian. (Part II on Facebook, January 19, 2012)
Mina Eloise McLemore Grady. Eloise is one of six children born to Dr. George Ammie and Nellie Emily (Johnson) McLemore in Johnston County, North Carolina. She was born January 6, 1917. She attended Smithfield Public Schools and Woman’s College of the University of North Carolina from 1934-1935. She returned to the University in 1938 and worked for one year toward her B.A. degree. Under Dr. Douglas Reynolds of Meredith College in Raleigh she studied art for one year along with three years of private tutoring. On March 21, 1944, she was married to Dr. Edward Stephen Grady, a native of Wilmington, North Carolina. Two children were born to them: Elizabeth Cowan (March 14, 1945) and Martha Emily (May 21, 1949). Prior to her marriage, she worked for eight years as Secretary to the Johnston County Agricultural Agent. Once married, she worked as a homemaker and took leadership roles in the community and her church. Eloise also enjoyed writing and published some poems. She also compiled and edited a book of poems written by her father, Dr. G. A. McLemore, entitled “Thoughts of a Country Doctor.” She was a member of the Smithfield Business and Professional Women’s Club, the Johnston County Historical Society, and the Auxiliary for the Johnston County Medical Center. She sang in the choir and taught church school at the Smithfield First Presbyterian Church for many years. [As of this writing (May 2012), Mina Eloise Grady is 95 years old and still residing in Smithfield, North Carolina.] (“North Carolina Lives,” William S. Powell, 1962, p. 503.) (Part XXIX on Facebook, May 4, 2012)
Moses McLemore was a prominent planter of Montgomery County [Alabama} and was born in this county on March 21, 1857. He was the son of Andrew J. and Sarah C. (Smith) McLemore. Moses was educated at the county schools and at Montgomery, and at the age of seventeen began life for himself as a farmer. He married, Annie Benom Tanner, November 5, 1890. Mr. McLemore was one of the leading farmers of the county, owning 2,900 acres of fine farming land. He followed farming all his life, and for some years he also carried on merchandising, and ran a cottage gin. When he started in life he had but a few hundred dollars, inherited from his father's estate, but soon projected this into many thousands of dollars, all of which, with the exception just mentioned he acquired by his own industry and economy. Moses McLemore died April 17, 1920 and is buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Montgomery, Alabama. (The Memorial Record of Alabama, "Personal Memoirs- Montgomery County" p. 712-713) (Part III on Facebook, January 19, 2012)
Owen Kenan McLemore, Confederate soldier, was born October 21, 1838 in Lafayette, and died September 30, 1862, at Winchester, Ga.; son of Charles McLemore. He graduated with honor from the United State Military Academy on July 1, 1856 and served with distinction in the Civil War. Rising to the rank of Lt. Col, he fought at second Manassas and in all the ensuing engagements until he was fatally wounded while commanding his regiment, at the battle of Sharpsburg, September 17, 1862, and was buried in N. May Cemetery, Winchester, with military honors, the regiment and division band marching several miles to perform the last rites. Last residence: Lafayette. (History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography) Thomas McAdory Owen (Vol IV) S. J. Clarke Publ. Co., Chicago 1921 (p. 1128-1131). (Part I on Facebook, Jan. 19, 2012)
Price Chrenleigh McLemore, the son of Moses and Annie Benson (Tanner) McLemore, was born January 12, 1909 in Montgomery, Alabama. He graduated from Marion Military Institute in 1926 and studied at Georgia Institute of Technology and the University of Alabama. He served as a Lt. Col. in the United States Army during World War II. He married Eleanor Streety Houghton, December 21, 1940, and they had two children, Price Chrenleigh Jr. and Mary McLemore. Mr. McLemore was a prominent cotton planter in Montgomery as well as a farm innovator holding 19 patents on cultivators, cotton pickers, and methods of planting and seed production. He attended the Methodist Church in Montgomery and enjoyed hunting and flying. He was awarded the Edward Longstreth Medal by the Franklin Institute of Philadelphia for “Inventions of High Order and for Meritorious Improvement and Development in Machines and Mechanical Processes.” Price died August 5, 1997 and is buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Montgomery, Alabama. (Portions are from “Who’s Who in Alabama” Volume II, 1969.) (Part XXIV on Facebook, June 3, 2012.)
Richard McLemore was born in South Carolina, September 21, 1798, the son of Amos (c 1766) and Equilla (c 1760) McLemore. He married Nancy Perry Hill, August 9, 1821 and they had nine children: Mary (1822), Nancy (1823), Martha (1826), Caleb Hill (1828), LaVina (1831), Sarah (1833), Charity (1935), Juriah (1837), and Joshua (1839). Nancy died September 30, 1858; and Richard married Catherine E. Carter, November 6, 1859. On February 28, 1873, Richard is recorded as marrying Isabella Ann Roberson after Catherine’s death. Richard migrated from South Carolina and purchased several thousand acres of land from the federal government in the Meridian-Macon region of Mississippi. His history notes that their child, Sarah, has the distinction of being the first recorded settler birth in Lauderdale County. Richard McLemore’s plantation originally occupied the heart of Meridian and the site of the McLemore Cotton Gin later became the location of the Lauderdale Court House. Mr. McLemore was a devout Baptist and helped to found Oaky Valley Baptist Church in the vicinity of Bonita, Mississippi, in 1839. He later assisted in the formation of another Baptist Church across the street from what would later become his burial ground, McLemore Cemetery, Sixth Street and 16th Avenue. Around 1853, McLemore sold a large portion of his land holdings which later became Meridian, and moved to Bonita and eventually to Marion, Mississippi, several miles north of Meridian. Richard McLemore died August 11, 1881 and is buried in the Historic McLemore Cemetery in the center of Meridian, Mississippi (Lauderdale County). (The photo and portions of this is taken from a May 19, 1985 article by Jack Shank in the Meridian Star newspaper.) (Part XXVII of Facebook, May 3, 2012)
Richard McLemore was born September 8, 1837 in Copiah County, Mississippi, the son of John T. and Agnes Smith McLemore. The profile photo for this Facebook site is said to be of Richard in 1877. He married Lucy Ann Freeman March 13, 1861. Lucy was born September 13, 1843. They had six children: Agnes J. (1864), Ephraim Hester (1865), John (1869), Tilghman Richard (1870), William Brown (1871), Mack (1873-1879), and Thomas Craven (1880). Richard moved west from Copiah County and set up a farm near Meadville (Franklin County) Mississippi. In May 1861, Richard enlisted in the Confederate Army, 38th Mississippi Infantry Regiment, and served until the end of the war—surrendering at Gainesville, Alabama. Richard died January 21, 1913 and is buried in the Smylie Cemetery near his farm. (Part VIII on Facebook, January 19, 2012)
Richard Aubrey McLemore was born June 6, 1903 in Perry County, Mississippi, the son of Hezekiah McLemore. Very early, Richard excelled in the field of education and rose to the rank of administrator in several schools. He married Nannie Pitts in 1927 and they had one son, Harry Kimbrell. In 1937, Mr. McLemore accepted a position with Judson College in Marion, Alabama. One year later, he was elected head of the Department of History at Mississippi State Teacher's College. In 1956, he was named curator of the History Department at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C. In 1957 Dr. Richard Aubrey McLemore left a position as professor of history and Dean of the University of Mississippi Southern to become President of Mississippi College. Dr. McLemore undertook a decentralization of top administration by setting up the positions of Dean of the College, Business Manager, and Dean of Students. Many libraries contain the definitive History of Mississippi written by Dr. McLemore. He died August 31, 1976 and is buried in Clinton, Mississippi. (Part XIII of Facebook, January 31, 2012.)
Robert Eugene McLemore, Sr. Robert Eugene was the son of Orville Leland (1887) and Cordelia Elizabeth Carmichael McLemore and was born July 14, 1916 in Statesboro, Georia. He was a graduate of the University of Georgia and worked with the civil service. He served as a First Lieutenant in the U.S. Army during World War II. He married Esther Zill June 30, 1940 and they had three children, Andrea, Gail, and Robert Jr. Robert died on June 20, 1988 and is buried at Eastside Cemetery in Statesboro, Georgia. (Part XXI on Facebook, April 27, 2012.)
Robert Henry McLemore. He was born February 28, 1910 in Dallas, Texas, the son of Edward Eugene and Margaret Butler McLemore. He earned his B.S. degree from Texas A & M in 1933. He married Ethel Ruth Ward, June 30, 1935 and they had a daughter, Mary Frances who, in turn, married a Mr. John H. Guyton. Mr. McLemore was a petroleum engineer who served as vice-president and general manager for several oil related industries during his life-time. He received the Roger McConnell Engineering Award in 1975. Robert Henry died April 16, 1945 in his home town of Dallas, Texas. (Part XXXVI on Facebook, June 6, 2012.)
Robert Samuel McLemore, M.D. Dr. McLemore was born in Alabama, 28 August 1837, the son of Col. John and Elizabeth (Marr) McLemore, native respectively of Tennessee and Alabama. They passed the greater portion of their lives in Carroll County, MS, where the father was an extensive planter and a citizen of wealth and influence. Dr. McLemore completed his academic education in the University of North Carolina in 1857. At the outbreak of the Civil war he enlisted in Company A, First Mississippi Calvary and served principally as a scout from 1862 to 1865. After the war, he entered the New Orleans Medical College graduating with a degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1872. After his graduation, he began a practice in Minter City, Leflore County serving as an active physician and surgeon until his retirement in 1900. Dr. McLemore died November 26, 1905. In 1850, he married Miss Marian E. Gibson, daughter of Col. I. S. and Mary (Geren) Gibson. Dr. and Mrs. McLemore became the parents of six children. (Mississippi, D. Rowland, 1907.) (Part XVII on Facebook, February 6, 2012)
Sylvester Adison McLemore (also known as “Sid,” “Corky,” “Big Monkey,”) was born in Maude, Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma, on September 25, 1911. He was the son of Andrew Pinkney McLemore Sr. (1864-1927) and Cynthia Elizabeth Pitts (1880-1956). Sid was a self-taught man with only an 8th grade education, yet became a Bible scholar and manager of circulation for several newspapers in Kansas and Oklahoma. He married Nina Lucy Boyd (nicknamed “Corky”) on July 24, 1934 in Stillwater, Oklahoma. Both Sid and Nina were devoted Christians and enjoyed gospel music and preaching. Nina was born September 15, 1915 in Perkins, Oklahoma, and educated to be a nurse technician. They had four children: Eldon Monroe (1936), Darrell Eugene (1937), Vesta Lou Axtell (1941) and Verl David (1943). His son, Eldon Monroe, writes, “he was a minister for over 60 years, was well-liked, and held many revivals preaching all over Oklahoma and southern Kansas. He enjoyed being with his family and grandchildren and directing and singing gospel music. Cracker Jacks and animal cookies were always ready to give out to the kids. Dad’s favorite food was home-made ice cream with bananas, strawberries, and coconuts.” Sylvester Adison died April 27, 2005 in Stillwater, Oklahoma, and is buried at Sunset Gardens Cemetery in this same city. (Source: The McLemore Family, compiled and researched by Ann and Eldon McLemore, 2010, p. 41) (Part XXII on Facebook, February 20, 2012)
Thomas Bartlett McLemore, youngest son of William and Elizabeth (Luttrell) McLemore, was born September 25, 1844 in Knox County, Tennessee. At the age of 17, he enlisted in the Union Army, April 14, 1862, served with the Sixth Tennessee Infantry for three years, engaging in battle on numerous occasions, and was discharged April 27, 1865. He completed his secondary education at Grant University in Athens, Tennessee. On May 8, 1872, he married Mary Louisa Murphy in Knox County, Tennessee. They had three sons, Thomas Burdette, James, and Edwin L. (As of his obituary in 1919, only one of these survived him). For 24 years, Mr. McLemore taught at the Hampden-Sidney and the North Knoxville schools in the city, and at Ball Camp, Beaver Ridge, Middlebrook and Macedonia in the county. He also purchased a farm near Ball Camp on the outskirts of Knoxville, Tennessee, Knox County. In 1880, he was elected to represent Knox County in the lower house of the state legislature. At the close of the Civil War, Mr. McLemore joined the Methodist Episcopal Church in Beaver Ridge where he served as Superintendent of the Sunday School for seven years. Thomas Bartlett died in early May 1919 and is buried in the National Cemetery in Knoxville. (McClung Library, Tennessee Historical Society.) (Part 40 on Facebook, June 15, 2012)
Tilghman Richard McLemore was born October 21, 1940 at West Point, New York, the son of Ephraim Hester and Edith Pearman McLemore. After graduating from Manatee County High School in 1958, he joined the United States Army as an enlisted man and found early duty with the Airborne Infantry in Fort Bragg, North Carolina. It was here that he met Clara Anne Chavis where they were married on January 6, 1960. Their first son, Tilghman Richard III was born May 20, 1960 and their last child, William Terry, was born December 6, 1961. Tim graduated from Florida State University in June 1966, and was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the United States Air Force and soon transferred back into the Airborne Infantry where he promptly left for Fort Campbell, Kentucky, to continue his training. He immediately went to Vietnam and was killed by enemy fire in Hue, South Vietnam, May 6, 1968. He was buried from Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Southern Pines, and laid to rest in Mt. Hope Cemetery of the same community. (Part XIV on Facebook, February 1, 2012.)
Walter Scott McLemore. Walter was the youngest son of Major Amos and Rosie Vinnie McLemore, born January 10, 1863 in what is now Forrest County, Mississippi. On November 22, 1888, when Walter was 25, he married Mary Etta Lee from Perry County, Mississippi, June 15, 1870. The children of Walter Scott and Mary Etta were: William Amos (August 11, 1889), Stella Mae (June 1891), Carrie Belle (April 1895), Armor Howard (November 26, 1896), Leila Pearl (March 30, 1899), Leroy (November 25, 1901), Lessie Amelia (May 3, 1905), and Elma Rose (September 18, 1907). Between 1916 and the end of Walter’s life, February 16, 1927, he and Mary Etta engaged in a number of real estate transactions. On February 25, 1902, Walter Scott was granted a patent (No. 693983) for his invention of a bailing press. (“Old Rosinheels: A Genealogical Sketch of the Family of Major Amos McLemore,” by Rudy Leverett, 1988, p. 62) (Part 41 on Facebook, June 19, 2012.)
Will Wharton McLemore. Will was a public official born in Franklin, TN on May 1, 1871. He was of Scotch-English and French desce3nt, the son of William S. .and Annie Louise (Wharton) McLemore. His father was a lawyer. His paternal grandparents were Jefferson and Bethenia (Dabney) McLemore. Wharton was educated in Franklin, TN and began his career as a drug clerk. He married Ophelia Palmer Burres, November 26, 1899. He was a member of the Elks Lodge in Murfreesboro, TN, a Democrat, Deputy County Court Clerk of Rutherford County, TN since April 1903 and a member of the Christian Church. (Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, 1911) (Part XVIII on Facebook, March 26, 2012)
William Sugars McLemore was born February 1, 1830, the son of Atkins J. McLemore. He married Annie Louise Wharton on May 15, 1856 and they had four children: Bethenia (1867), Albert Sydney (1869), William Wharton (1871) and Lizzie Minor (1879). Col. McLemore was interviewed by B. L. Ridley of Murphreesboro, Tennessee, in the Confederate Veteran (p. 262). During the Civil War, he commanded Starne's Fourth Tennessee Cavalry. After the war, McLemore was elected Circuit Judge of the Ninth Tennessee Circuit where he served four years. Col. McLemore died August 7, 1908 and is buried next to his wife in Rest Haven Cemetery, Franklin, Tennessee. (Part XII on Facebook, January 25, 2012).
William Thomas “Tom” McLemore was born January 8, 1974, the sixth child of Benjamin Franklin and Rosa (Westbrook) McLemore. He graduated from college and medical school and set up his practice in Courtland, Virginia. On April 3, 1901, Tom married Mary Frances Williams and they had four children, however only the youngest survived infancy, James Hennen McLemore born in Courtland October 111, 1910. Dr. McLemore performed the duties of his medical profession with such a devotion to his patients that it was said by many, he treated just about everyone in Southampton County, Virginia. When he died on September 29, 1951, he was survived only by his wife, Mary Frances, and son, Hennen, who served jointly as his executors. (“B. F. McLemore, His Ancestors and Descendants,” by James L. McLemore III, pp. 397-398) (Part 42 on Facebook, June 24, 2012)
Young Leander McLemore was born March 19, 1820 in Knox County, Tennessee, the son of Archibald and Sarah (Plumley) McLemore. He married Mary Jane Walker around 1840, in Polk County, Tennessee, and they had six children: John Wesley (1844),James Gabriel, Mary Jane (1852), Young Leander Jr. (1859), Belle, and Pleasant. We have no record of his education, but the Cleveland Cumberland Presbyterian Session book shows that he was received as a candidate of ministry in the Ocoee Presbytery on October 4, 1844 at Harrison, Tennessee. By October 1847, he was instructed by the Presbytery to “travel within the Presbytery and preach on a full-time basis.” Around 1859, Young Leander moved his family to Miller County, Arkansas, and continued to serve as a minister in area Presbyterian Churches. A Tennessee War Pension application by a Young McLemore, 13 October 1892, indicates he may have served with the Tennessee Volunteers. Young McLemore died February 10, 1901 and is buried in the Olive Branch Cemetery, Bright Star, Arkansas. (Part 43 on Facebook, June 25, 2012)